If you live in the city and looking to move north, look no further then Wheeling. This quaint Chicago suburb offers a perfect balance of suburban living. Wheeling has a population of 40,000 and is continually growing. Wheeling is known best for have “restaurant row” on Milwaukee Avenue and for being part owner of the third-busiest airport in Illinois, Chicago Executive Airport. Never too far from the city, commuters have the option of catching the North Central Line at the Wheeling Metra Station or taking Interstate 294 straight to the city.
According to Zillow.com, the median price of homes currently listed in Wheeling is $160,000 with home values increasing by 7.7% over the last year. The median price for a home sold is $159,750. If renting is an option, the median rent price is $1,467 which is significantly lower than the Chicago area of $1,629.
If you are thinking about moving into a suburban Chicago condo, Prairie Park Wheeling is a new development that is being built in the heart of the suburb. There are multiple floor plans to choose from with a definite home feeling. Located at Lake Cook Rd and Milwaukee Avenue, residents are not far from coffee shops, golfing and high-end restaurants.
Restaurant Row goes back as far as 1830 when travelers heading to Wisconsin would stop overnight at the inns. There were multiple eateries and taverns to eat at and many more were built, thus creating the now famous Restaurant Row.
- Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurant: located at 583 N. Milwaukee Avenue, patrons are offered a wide variety of seafood and Italian dishes. Best known for its extensive wine selection, Cooper’s Hawk pairs its hand-crafted wine with their signature menu selections. There is a wine tasting room which gives the feel of being in Napa Valley. This restaurant prides itself in good wine, great food and a quaint atmosphere.
- Superdawg Drive In: if you are looking for a fun and unique dining experience, then drive to 333 S. Milwaukee Ave. This family owned one of a kind drive-in experience has been around since the 1950s. Orders are placed into an electronic speaker and the food is delivered on a tray by a carhop. This Chicago staple is right in the center of Wheeling and you can’t go wrong eating here.
- The Ram Restaurant & Brewery: located at 700 N. Milwaukee Avenue, the Ram offers good American style food in a friendly atmosphere. With home brewed beer, to multiple TVs to watch the games and quality food, this restaurant is perfect for family and friend dining.
- Lynfred Winery & Tasting Room: this satellite location is at 971 N. Milwaukee Avenue. Enjoy a night out on the town with wine tastings in a relaxed atmosphere. Open daily from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Midwestern Helicopter: for a beautiful view of the city, schedule a helicopter tour which originates from Chicago Executive Airport. This incredible journey will give you amazing views of such places as: John Hancock Observatory, Soldier Field, Wrigley Field and Navy Pier.
When you start to look for your next home or Condo, think about Wheeling and all its hidden treasurers. Look at this popular neighborhood, from amazing food to great places to live, you will feel at home here. To learn more about new homes in the Chicago area, click here.