Everyone loves lighting up their home for the holidays, but not everyone loves dealing with a high electricity bill. Here are some tips on how to deck out your new homes in Chicago while sticking to a budget.
- Switch to LED lights. LED lights cost three times more than traditional lighting, but use much less power. A typical LED bulb uses only one watt of energy, while a standard incandescent bulb uses seven watts. The difference could save you $3.60 per stand of lights!
- Time your lighting wisely. Is it really necessary to leave your lights on while you’re sleeping? Time your lights so that they turn on at 5 p.m. and shut off five hours later.
- Avoid fancy icicle strands. Sure, they make look pretty, but using regular strands will save you money and create the same effect.
- Switch to battery powered lighting. Battery-operated window candles or door wreaths can help cut back on your power bill. Purchasing rechargeable batteries to reuse each season can also increase your savings.
- String fewer lights. This may seem like an obvious solution, but sometimes less is more. Instead of using extra lights, bring attention to your home with a unique wreath on the front door.
By using these tips, your home will certainly look festive without the downside of an expensive power bill!