Avondale is a diverse area located within Chicago in Cook County. The city’s deep European roots are traced back to Avondale’s railway and industrial growth in the late 1800’s, and it has now been mixed with Latin American culture. Residents of Avondale can also experience the vibrant Polish culture that still remains as a strong presence. From sausage shops to restaurants to bakeries, the Polish culture provides Avondale with an authentic feature.
If city life is what you’re after, Avondale offers a variety of homes listed on Zillow that range from $99,990 to $699,000. Homes for rent on Trulia in the Avondale area range from $322 to $17,400 per month.
Delicious restaurants, lively pubs and an old fashioned sense of community make Avondale an ideal location to call home.
- Hot Doug’s. Treat yourself to a delicious hot dog from this Avondale favorite. On Friday and Saturday, don’t miss out on the “too good for words” Duck Fat Fries to pair with your gourmet dog. Just make sure to bring cash!
- Yusho. Interested in a craft cocktail? Check out Yusho, a yakitori restaurant that will keep cocktail lovers on their toes! Forget the everyday cocktail you are used to and head to Yusho’s for this week’s cocktail on draft.
- Staropolska. Don’t miss out on Staropolska’s delicious Polish American cuisine. Enjoy one of the restaurant favorites, such as the Country Pork Chops or the Staropolska Style Potato Pancakes. The yummy food and inviting atmosphere will get you hooked!
- Pork Choppe. Craving some barbeque? Pork Shoppe, located on W. Belmont Avenue, is the place to get a fix. See for yourself why people rave about Pork Choppe’s pulled pork sandwiches, cornbread and cream of corn!
- Outdoor Grill. From burgers to hot dogs to gyros, this mix between American and Greek cuisine will have you coming back on a regular basis. Anything off its generous menu will leave you wanting more!
Entertainment and Recreation
- Avondale Park. Basketball courts, a swimming pool and open green space make Avondale Park a great place to play. The park is conveniently located in the middle of the area and hosts gymnastic and cheerleading camps as well as the “Community Gardens in the Parks” program, which is perfect for an aspiring gardener.
- Galaxie. Go back in time and have some vintage fun! The Galaxie is Chicago’s hot spot for classic dance classes, weekly dance events and large performances. Whether you want to take a private lesson or watch a performance, Galaxie is a great way to have some old-fashioned fun.
- Brands Park. What are your summer night plans? Brands Park offers “Movies in the Park,” which happens on select nights during the summer. Movies are show on a big outdoor screen under the stars!
- Prop Thtr. Sit back and enjoy original or newly adapted theatrical works at the oldest surviving non-equity theater in Chicago. Prop Thtr has two performance spaces and also hosts Resident Companies’ performances.
- Irish American Heritage Center. Avondale is known largely for its Polish and Latin American populations, but there are still strong Irish roots in the community. The Irish American Heritage Center promotes the Irish culture through programs focused on music, drama, traditional dancing and more.
To view more real estate opportunities in Cook County, click here.