Halloween is just around the corner and preparations are well underway in your neighborhood. Your Chicago home is on the market but you want to throw a neighborhood Halloween party. How do you throw a Halloween party with your home for sale? Is it possible? I can tell you that it is.
Here are some wonderful tips on how to throw a Halloween party that will be fun for everyone even with the For Sale sign in your front yard.
Everyone loves to decorate the outside of their house for Halloween. If your home is on the market, you still have the option to decorate but it may be different then years past. Start by picking decorations that are more neutral. Head to your nearest pumpkin patch and pick out some pumpkins and hay bales for your front yard. Scarecrows are always another good option and can be purchased at a party store or build your own using old clothes, pillows, straw and wooden garden stakes. To light the walkway to your front door, there are solar powered stake lights such as; orange or purple pumpkins and ghosts. Check out your local Target or hardware store, even Amazon sells them.
Avoid placing scary decorations or anything gory. Too many decorations can be a problem as well. Making your front yard look overcrowded can be uninviting to potential buyers. One of the goals when selling your home is to keep it decluttered and inviting to buyers. If having scary decorations are essential to making your Halloween enjoyable, put them out that evening before Trick or Treaters and your party guests arrive. Just make sure to take them down once the party is over.
Now to the inside and the rest of the party planning. Here are some great and simple ideas.
Decorative gourds and pumpkins: display these items in different areas of your home. On tables, in corners and/or window sills are some great places.
Spooky Music: gather a playlist of favorite songs that are fun such as Thriller by Michael Jackson. Another option is to purchase a soundtrack of spooky sounds. There are many options of soundtracks that come in CD form or can be found in iTunes or Google Play. Even Martha Stewart has as Halloween Spooky CD!
Other Decorations: Now the fun begins to finish decorating the rest of the inside of your home. Any room can be transformed into something scary, but not too scary. Start with hanging the white cobwebs in the corners that hang some spiders from it. Print out some coloring pages of bats that they kids can color, cut them out and hang them as well. There are many websites to get printable Halloween coloring pages such as; coloring.ws from DLTK’s. With kids coming to your party, getting small decorations in bulk is a good idea. Especially if you want to send each one home with a goodie bag. Check out Oriental Trading, items are very reasonably priced, there is a large variety of items to choose from plus they come in bulk.
Games: There are a lot of varieties of games that you can set up for people to play. Just make sure that you have someone to supervise.
Here are a couple of ideas:
- Halloween Charades – cut up small pieces of paper and write the down different Halloween characters. Fold the pieces of paper and place them in a bowl. Have each person take a turn acting out the character on the paper and the other players have to guess who is being acted out. Another option would be to create teams and the winning team can get prizes.
- Pin the Nose on the Pumpkin – Take a piece of orange construction paper and draw a pumpkin on it but omitting the nose and hang it up. Then take some black paper and cut out pumpkin noses and place tape on the back of each one. Place a blindfold on the player, spin them around and hand them the nose and direct them to the pumpkin. The player that places the nose closest to the right place wins.
Last but not least, food! There are so many options that there isn’t one better than the other. If you are in need of some ideas, Pinterest would be a good place to start. Checking out Google works too.
One idea would be to set up a Mummy Face Pizza making station. Here is how to make these:
- Ingredients – halved bagels, pizza sauce, sliced black olives and mozzarella string cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the pizza sauce on each bagel. Then pull the string cheese into thin strips and place them criss-cross on the top of the bagels. This will make them look like a mummy. Place the black olives for the eyes.
- Put the bagels on a backing sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
There are so many ideas to creating a fun filled, scary and safe Halloween for your neighborhood. All of these ideas are simple enough that you can set up and take it down in a short period of time.
Remember that even if you are selling your Chicago home during Halloween, you can still create a fun filled, scary and safe Halloween for your neighborhood. Who knows, maybe someone will be Trick-or-Treating and you get some potential prospects.
Looking for more information about Chicago real estate? Check out www.ChicagoRealEstateForum.com.