With winter weather upon us, now is the perfect time to enjoy the snow this time of year brings to our McHenry real estate. Whether you’re looking to enjoy snow skiing, snowmobiling, tubing, ice skating or sledding, there are plenty of local opportunities to have cold weather fun:
- McHenry Township Park: Enjoy an obstacle-free, lighted sledding run of about 300 feet. The facility also includes an enclosed winter shelter with tables, a grill and electricity; indoor restrooms and a fireplace. Be sure to check the signs for closure before slip sliding away down the hill!
- McHenry County Conservation District: Located in Woodstock, this park offers more than 17 miles of snowmobile trails in Glacial Park and along the Prairie Trail and more than 40 miles of cross-country ski trails at 19 different sites. In order to snowmobile, there must be at least four inches of snowfall on frozen ground and six inches on unfrozen ground. Call the snowmobile hotline at 815-334-SNOW or check their website for current conditions.
- Veteran Acres Park: This oasis in the heart of Crystal Lake is the perfect place to snowshoe, sled cross-country ski or ice skate during the winter months. The snow hill has several different runs and wooden stairs, so it is a safe place for the whole family.
- Barrington Ice Arena: If you’re looking to ice skate, the Barrington Ice Arena in Lake Barrington offers public skating throughout the week for just $4 for youth and $6 for adults with $3 skate rentals. Be sure to check the website for open dates and times.
- Crystal Ice House: This is another public ice skating rink located in Crystal Lake. Public skating is available daily, and the cost is $5 for seniors and kids under six, $6 for adults and $2 for skate rentals.
While playing in the white powder can be fun, we know that many local residents are already looking forward to warmer weather! Luckily, many of these of these parks and facilities are open for seasonal fun near your McHenry home all year long.
To learn more about our McHenry new homes at The Trails of Pheasant Ridge and Liberty Trails, give us a call at 815-385-4495.